Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Gwen Cooper rocks my socks


So if you know me, you know I love the new series of Doctor Who. I love the Doctor, I love Rose, but most of all, I LOVE Captain Jack Harkness (center in photo). Seriously, how could you not love this handsome, charismatic, pansexual man of the 51st century? So when I found out that he got his own spin-off in the form of Torchwood, I was understandably excited.

The show itself is great. It's sort of "Doctor Who for grown-ups", with much darker plots and themes. But my favorite thing about it is the sexual fluidity and diversity. I have yet to see an American show that's as LGBT friendly as Torchwood (or Doctor Who, to a lesser extent). In the few episodes I have seen so far, main character Gwen makes out with another girl (granted, one possessed by an alien) and Toshiko pursues a relationship with another woman (ok, that one's an alien, too). And Jack, as Toshiko says in the second episode, "will shag anything as long as it's gorgeous."

It's just really refreshing to watch a show that addresses the whole gamut of human sexuality, especially the often neglected bisexual portion of the spectrum. And it's REALLY unusual to see it treated as something normal and not a huge deal. I really wish there was something more like this on American networks.

Plus, everyone is really hot, and they make out with each other often. What's not to love?

No comments: